Sunday, January 15, 2012

Page 10

While I'm not always excited to talk to people, I do take time to listen to people when they want to share issues of the heart. Often I consider it a privilege to listen to people's problems and remember them in prayer.  Two stories I heard this week, both relations, really made me sad.


  •  A woman who lives here in the US lost her mom who lived Nigeria.  Even though, the mom was ill for some time, so she knew her mother's death was near the pain was strong. what's makes this woman's story disheartening is that she has an older brother here in the US who has decided not help/host traditional ceremonies.  This woman doesn't have a lot of money and is in a very tough job situation.  She thought that she and her brother would work together, but the brother has abandoned his responsibilities and left her to work alone.  On top of that, her husband is offering no emotional support. Now she's feel alone, overwhelmed, and is grieving.  

  • A young adult is now living with her extended family.  Her mother has a mental illness and may or may not be taking her medication.  Mom is unable to keep a steady, good paying job because she makes poor decisions.  The young adult has a 30k job.  The money she makes goes to not only pay her bills, but some of her mother's, and her grandmothers  


When I heard these stories it reminded me of the painful truth that people face struggles regularly.  Behind smiles, mean glares,  and nonchalant faces are sometimes hurting people.  I'm learning to only be there to listen but to also pray and care.


Something to Think About

Today, give a stranger one of your smiles.  It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.  ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment